Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Mango Addendum

Two mango-related updates:

1) Mango chutney-making was highly successful! Looks nice in the jam jars, and adds a good zest to lots of foods. A little too much ginger this time around, but it was easy, so I’m sure we’ll make it again.

2) About three days ago, I noticed that my lips were very chapped (my lips hurt real bad!). It kept getting worse and worse, despite lots of chapstick application, and as you can imagine, there aren’t too many cold, dry winds here to dry out my lips. My lips look and feel like the crazy chapped lips that you get when you’re eight years old. Once Aunt Kiki posted that she got swollen lips from mangos, I searched the internet and found that a mango allergy is actually fairly common. Well, usually the allergy is to the skin, which has a compound related to that found in poison ivy. My over exuberance in eating the mango right out of the skin appears to have gotten me in trouble. So, I’ll amend my mango eating instructions to say that you should eat with a spoon.

2 comments:

  1. So it is the skin? I had instant swelling by sucking on the seed, and yes, it did take a few days to resolve. LIke you, I did not give them up, just altered my approach. Love you, Aunt k

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry! Mangoes are still yum!

    Love,

    L/Mom

    ReplyDelete