Monday, November 1, 2010

Visitors and Diani Stay-cation 2k10!

This weekend M and I were joined in Diani by two friends from college, Clementine and Oppy. I’ve heard of Dartmouth reunions in random places but this is definitely the most random one I’ve attended.

Oppy’s working in Nairobi for the year and Clem was visiting her brother in Tanzania so Diani was selected as the meeting place. Oppy’s company has a house in Diani so we were treated to a private beachfront home for a long weekend.

Long walks on the beach, Tuskers, and a few sunburns later, I’d say it was a successful visit. It was really great to exchange notes with Oppy about working in Kenya. He’s dealing with the corporate banking world and deals with many of the same challenges we do, magnified by about 20 times. Clementine was able to relate her brother’s experience living in Tanzania for the last 9 years and the experiences of having traveled widely within Africa (and throughout the world).

It was just very nice to be able to relax with people who have the same cultural perspectives as Americans. We didn’t actually realize how much we missed that until we saw them. We’ve really enjoyed meeting and getting to know Kenyans but it’s also nice to slip back into a place where you relate so easily to people without having to explain anything.

This was the perfect respite for us because we are leaving Thursday morning very early to travel to Kilimanjaro. We’re going by bus to Moshi, Tanzania and then from there will begin 7 days of climbing and hiking. The bus is more economical plus it allows us to see more of the intervening country as we drive inland from the coast. We’re really looking forward to it!

One sad note is that I managed to delete all my pictures from the weekend when I tried to upload them. Yes, I’m a genius. Definitely thankful though that I only deleted photos from a single weekend and not from several months though; trying to look on the bright side!

3 comments:

  1. Oh no on the picture deletions! Tres triste! I'm sure it was wonderful to see Clem and Oppy - and I'm so happy for you to have so many visitors to such an otherwise distant place. Quite a surprise, but your generation seems to be far more worldly at an earlier age than ours.

    Cultural transplantation is hard work. You both are wonderfully aware of being Kenyan and adapting to your environment, and having your friends around must have allowed for a certain relaxation not usually possible? It is fantastic to assimilate to other cultures, but it is also necessary to be hypervigilant and aware. So glad you had a relaxing weekend. And, perhaps Clem took a few photos?

    Blessings as you prepare to scale the mountain. Remember too Psalm 121, from whence you find your strength!

    Love you both so very much, and yes, I'm missing you dearly.

    Mom/L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear ones, your next journey should be without question one of the highlights of your wonderful adventure. I am looking forward to your pictures and of course I am going to be anxious to hear that you got back all safe and sound. It would not surprise me if you ultimately put Everest on your bucket list! Loving your posts. I have a date with little Finn this week so I will be sure to give him an extra hug from both of you. Miss you, and as mom/L said, hypervigilance please. Love you, Aunt K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blog! It was so great to see you guys. So great. Have a great time on Kili. Can't wait to hear about it and to see you sometime soon in Nairobi.

    Oppy

    ReplyDelete