Thursday, August 19, 2010

M's Bday & Kenyan Flag

Well I don’t know how to sing happy birthday in Swahili yet but today is M’s birthday! He says that he keeps forgetting it’s his birthday whenever I remind him so maybe he’s getting forgetful in his old age. Today I will walk into town to get him some cake, the upside of being on the outskirts of a touristy area is that we can get things like cake if we are willing to walk a bit.

I imagine it’s a bit weird celebrating your birthday in a country where you know exactly 1 person for longer than 5 days. Someone asked us the other day how long we’d been here and we were both shocked that it had only been 5 days. Although we’re still very much figuring things out, we’ve also learned a lot in just 5 days.
Just before we came, M asked me if I was surprised that we're actually going to Kenya after planning for so long. And the answer was that I'm honestly not surprised at all. I knew when we got married that we'd always push each other. That we would almost never do things the easy way. And that at times it would be exhausting and the rest of the time it would be exhilarating. And that because I like to go to bed really, truly, tired every day, that he was the one for me, because he's the exact same way. So, to my running buddy, my Sherpa, my travel companion, and my mume wangu [husband], HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!



As for the Kenyan flag, pictured above, it was adopted on December 12th, 1963. December 12th is therefore Kenyan Independence day which we're looking forward to in a few months. It was the flag of the independence movement when the Kenyans fought against the British. The black represents the people of Kenya, the green represents the land, and the red represents the blood shed in the fight for independence. The Maasai shield and spears also represent the fighting for independence.

In other news, I found someone to give me Swahili lessons starting at 1 today and M observed in the operating theatre yesterday.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Max!

    Wishing you blessings and intangible but priceless gifts in the year ahead!

    Love,

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, to both of you, I wanted to say that I look forward to these posts and can "hear" you so clearly in each line. Thank you for taking the time to share these remarkable times, and know that you are passing that energy on to each of us as we also learn more about Kenya. Our own Discovery Channel!

    Love you both,

    Mom/L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Max! I love you and miss you and hope you have a wonderful birthday with delicious Diani cake, mmmmmm. Finn and Kevin say happy birthday too!

    Love, Care

    P.S. We wanted to skype you today but I just realized you will be sleeping by the time I get home from work, maybe this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Maxim!!!! Glad to hear things are going well for the both of you. Love reading the blog and updates. Looking forward to lots more. Miss you over here in the u s of a. Be safe and enjoy!

    Ship

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy birthday cuz! somehow my phone alarm knew it was your birthday... but i never programmed it in. weird!
    hope you have a fun day.
    i am loving the blog, i love that you both write, and i love hearing your back story too. nice narrative flow you've got going!
    and, i love learning those few new words you've shared. sweet!
    love,
    narnce

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, I loved your last few posts E! Thank you for keeping us all updated, you are an inspiration for Finnablog (-:

    Love you!

    -Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feliz cumpleanios hermano!! (I put the "i" in there becuase otherwise it's cumpleanos and that means, approximately, "turning anuses")

    Miss you guys (well, I guess I'm not used to seeing you anyway, but now I can feel how far away you are). Max I hope you're having an awesome birthday, I can't believe you're only 28! You always seemed so much older but now a lot of my friends are your age or older. You both are just so mature.

    Love your blog, it's been so much fun to read. And good thing you're better at updating it than I was in Mexico.

    enjoy your kenyan cake! Take a picture of it, and tell us what's in it. I'm curious. Bananas? monkeys? I don't know anything about kenyan cuisine.

    Estas son las mananitas que cantaba el rey david, a las muchachas bonitas te las cantamos a ti!

    Despierta mi bien despierta mira que amanecio, y a los pajarillos cantan la luna ya se metio.

    Thats the Mexican birthday song. Enjoy!

    Much love,
    Sus

    ReplyDelete