Thursday, August 26, 2010

Quick Observation #1: Socks

Socks are a rare bird in Kenya. Some people walk around barefoot, many use sandals of various forms. Even in the operating theatre, which might be considered the pinnacle of cleanliness, there are no socks. Footwear choices in the theatre include slip-on sandals (like soccer sandals), Croc-like clogs, and high boots, like galoshes. It’s still a little weird seeing so much toe in the OR. I like to think that I’m as adventurous as the next person, but something about wearing communal high rubber boots without socks tickles me the wrong way. Because of this, I’m the cool guy wearing sandals with socks in the OR. So be it. However, yesterday while driving to the hospital, I realized that in embracing the Kenyan love of wearing sandals to work, I neglected to pack socks. Damn. After quick deliberation, I decided that I couldn’t catch anything incurable from these promiscuous shoes, so I went for it. In a way, it was liberating. So far, I report no ill effects…

2 comments:

  1. Glad your feet are okay so far, you are very brave (-; Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent choice! After all, you bravely drink Maryland water from the tap . . . ;-)

    Much love!

    ReplyDelete