Friday, September 24, 2010

The germ factory



This is Yasmin – she’s adorable right? I love her eyelashes. She, like all kids, is a germ factory though and my immune system is not accustomed to kindergartners. They’re constantly coughing, wiping their noses on you, and generally getting dirty. Plus, she loves playing with my ring and holding my hand.

So, now I’m congested and coughing too. The school has no soap so it’s impossible to actually clean your hands. They have a tap of running, salty water but nothing to disinfect or remove any actual germs. I mentioned this to Mary and it didn’t seem to concern or surprise her, apparently this is pretty normal. This was especially gross when we had a stomach bug going through the school last week (I didn't catch it thank goodness) and kids were vomiting. Apparently when kids have head colds, they stay home from school but when they vomit, they come to school. As mentioned in M's last blog, people are much more scared of colds and pneumonia than they are of stomach or GI illnesses.

I’m buying soap this weekend and putting it in the teachers closet. I’m not a germaphobe but I hope that washing my hands keeps me from getting sick too often (though on some level it’s inevitable).

1 comment:

  1. Germs and children just go together, but you're right, we're more accustomed to washing our hands. Do you want me to send Oscillicocsinum? Works like a champ and is small and light -- of course that's assuming that you received your clothing package, and since I haven't heard, I'm guessing not.

    Your immune system will adapt and the soap is a good idea. Still, I can't imagine the thought of vomiting children is a good one at school? You are such a good sport and know how to fit in anywhere; it's a gift.

    Love,

    Mom/L

    ReplyDelete