Thursday, September 30, 2010

Pole Pole

In Swahili, “pole” means both “sorry” and “slowly”. This is not a coincidence. Everything in Kenya happens pole pole and people constantly say it. They actually even translate it into English. An actual conversation we had with Mzee Mungai the first week:
M: Mzee, how was your day?
Mungai: Fine, fine.
M: What did you do today? (it was a Saturday)
Mungai: I did some work in my room slowly slowly.

Life in Kenya is much less structured and everything is always late. They are thoroughly amused at the American custom of arriving on time to anything much less EARLY. School is supposed to start at 8 and we never start before 8:30. Church is supposed to end at 12:30 and never ends before 12:55.

There are some reasons for this: transportation is much less reliable [matatus break down a lot], travel times are extremely varied [matatus will stop constantly to pick up more people if there is a single square inch free in the vehicle], and people lack a lot of the “instant” technologies that we take for granted in the US [a lack of microwaves, refrigerators, etc. all extend meal times for example since prep is virtually from scratch].

The hilarious thing is that even though everyone knows in advance that things will be pole pole, no one ever seems to take steps to mitigate this. For example, the other day I watched the “Baby Class” (ages 2-3) at school while one of the teachers ran into Mombasa. She left early and said she would be back at school by 11. The previous day I asked her what work she wanted the children to complete in her absence and she left me about one hour worth of work total. I thought this was strange because I had at least 2.5 hours from 8:30 to 11 to kill but figured it would be fine.

Now, I didn’t expect her to be back at 11. I expected her to be back pole pole at around 1 – even with this guess I was off by almost 2 hours when she showed up at 2:45 which is basically the end of school. I’m not at all surprised by this incident but I was surprised that she didn’t leave me with more work. If you know that you’ll likely be delayed by several hours, wouldn’t it be smart to leave me with extra work, not minimal work? The end result was me sitting with 15 3-year-olds for over 4 hours singing every nursery rhyme and playing every clapping game I could think of. I think the kids thought I was insane although that’s commonplace here. M and I call these moments “crazy wazungu moments” because you can tell that’s what people are thinking.

Pretty much any description of activities includes pole pole. When asking what the itinerary would be for a safari, we were told that the first day would include “a game drive slowly slowly”. I have to admit that it’s sort of nice that no one expects you to be anywhere at a specific time although I can imagine it’s rather frustrating if you’re trying to accomplish something which is time sensitive. Luckily we aren’t particularly pressed for time so we’re adapting to life slowly slowly.

I just wish that mail weren’t delivered pole pole. We’re on day 17 of waiting for a package to get through Kenyan customs. I contacted someone and finally they informed that I have to go to Mombasa to retrieve it even though it was sent to Msambweni. Not sure how I was supposed to know that or when we would have been informed if I didn't ask. So, we’re going to Mombasa today to see if we can “finesse” it out of customs so we’ll update you on what is sure to be an interesting adventure.

4 comments:

  1. this sounds familiar! haha in my life in mexico i've completely accepted the fact that no social gathering will ever start on time. but even after two years of living on the border and 4 years since i first studied abroad in mexico, the gringa in me still prevails sometimes and i show up way too early.

    as max knows, growing up we were never on time to anything (stemming from the fact that it's nearly impossible to get 6-8 people, mostly children, dressed and fed and out the door all at the same time, "like herding cats" my mom says) - so actually i enjoy that pace of life, it's more like home :)

    i'm going to get ready for work pole pole, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, same in Asia. We would arrive for a concert that was scheduled for 8:00 and set up in the afternoon and be ready to go and then sit around for an hour and a half before the first person would ever show up. But somehow, we always felt that WE had to be ready on time, just in case.

    So I guess you'll have to go to Europe next time - the U.S. and Europe seem to be the main ones interested in being timely. (But then I wonder about business meetings between the two cultures - wonder how that works?)

    love you!

    McMom (and now McGrandmom!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning! You will laugh that just yesterday in church I mentioned to BAB the pole pole and we also sang a Kenyan song, which incidentally was not so slow, so maybe it was sorry? LOL!

    I can only imagine your time/on-time adjustment, and I'm glad so you see the difference as genial. Too often we rush here, and you've mentioned the happiness and smiles of the Kenyan people... hmmm, think that's one of the reasons?

    Enjoy your warm weather, as we have a dark, dank, rainy Monday here and it's pretty cold (62 is the high). Nice to picture you in a warm, sunny place.

    Love you lots,

    Mom/L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys! Speaking of receiving care packages, you should post a list (sometime before Saturday, HINT HINT) of things that people can send to you/shouldn't send to you because it will get stolen/things that you really seriously need because you can't get there, etc. Also, E, are there things that we could send for your classroom? Disinfectant, maybe? ;-) LOVE reading your blogs, thank you for always providing me with entertainment for when various state regulatory agencies put me on hold for hours in my corporate-counsel-attorney duties of late :-P

    ReplyDelete