Sunday, February 27, 2011

Nairobi News: Meet and Greet

I arrived in Nairobi on Sunday at around noon for the urology workshop and conference that I mentioned in my previous post. My lovely wife was holding down the fort on the coast, as it was already a financial stretch to have me stay in Nairobi for a week, and she's actually been doing some pretty important work in the lab lately (thanks, E!).

The first order of business? Go to the secondhand market (Toi Market) and get some "nice" clothes for the week. Kenyans are quite formal; men nearly always wear slacks with a button-down tucked in. It's usually ill-fitting or well-worn due to it's secondhand-edness, but the spirit remains. I wasn’t expecting to attend any medical conferences while here, so I didn’t bring anything too nice. Anyways, I tried on about 50 pairs of pants at Toi Market, and finally found two winners. Not bad for $10.

In the evening, I had arranged to meet with the urologist from Stanford at his hotel, so we met and drank a beer. Soon the urologist from Switzerland joined us, and I then learned that there was actually a welcome reception at the hotel for us that evening. I had fortunately opted for the khakis and oxford over the jeans and rugby that I strongly considered.

The welcome reception was a small gathering of about 10 urologists from around Kenya (mostly Nairobi), and we just had some "bitings" and drinks. I had met or talked to a few of them before, but others were a little confused as to who I was, as only two pediatric urologists were to attend this workshop. I explained that we lived here, and that I was technically a member of the same urology organization, but they didn't specifically send me here, but I was excited to learn. This explanation of me showing up at their conference seemed to suit everyone just fine, and conversation shifted to things which interested them more, specifically my height. We retired after a few Tuskers to rest up for the next day.

I must say, I was a little apprehensive about the workshop and conference week, as I had literally no details, but Day 1 went smoothly and I was really looking forward to the coming week.

2 comments:

  1. I am interested in hearing about the rest of week. I am sure you will enjoy it and you never know, the contacts you make here may serve you well! Take care and keep writing. We are all very much looking forward to your homecoming. Our Baby is adorable and just growing so fast. He belly laughs now and is staying awake for longer periods. Love you, AKiki

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great opportunity, M! Thought I have to wonder about the conference topic shifting from urology to your height? Correlation? :)

    Hoping the rest of the week is worthwhile and enjoyable; I'm always happier when the two of you are together, though a little space is often a good thing. Just a Mom's concern over the wild state of the world today.

    Love you,

    L/Mom

    ReplyDelete